LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY FOR THE
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
NOTICE OF MOTION
Dr Marisa Paterson MLA: I give notice that I shall move - That this Assembly:
1. Notes that:
- The ACT Government provides financial and in-kind support to seven Community Councils across the ACT;
- The ACT’s newest greenfield development, gazetted in 2010 – the Molonglo Valley area – is currently represented through the Weston Creek Community Council;
- The Molonglo Valley area has a population of around 8,500 and is expected to grow to 10,000 by the end of 2021, and to 55,000 in coming decades.
- The area has diverse needs as it continues to develop;
- The Molonglo Valley Community Forum is a community group, recently established to preserve and improve the social, cultural, economic and environmental wellbeing of the Molonglo Valley and its community. Its first public meeting is expected to be held in March 2021.
2. Calls on the Government to:
Support the establishment of a Molonglo Valley Community Council to:
- engage with and advocate to the ACT Government on a broad range of issues and reflect the needs of the local community;
- ensure the group’s membership is reflective and inclusive of the area’s broad population and demography by exploring innovative community engagement methods.
Dr Marisa Paterson MLA
11 February 2021