6 June 2022
On Monday 6 June I was pleased to co-host a forum for new bike-riders with Pedal Power ACT and a range of guest presenters and break-out demonstrations.
We had a sell-out crowd!! – despite the very cold, bitter and dark winter weather.
- ACT Policing on bike security and road safety;
- Pedal Power ACT on rider insurance, social rides, and way-finding by bike;
- Safety gear and know-how from Trek Bikes Australia and our local Phillip store;
- and some great shared experiences from two local women who have discovered the joy of bike riding.
- anyone can ride a bike
- Canberra is a great place to work with an excellent path network
- ensure you can be seen with good lights and hi-vis/reflective gear
- there's a lot of support available (see resources and links below)
- you don't need to be an athlete or have any background in physical activity to start riding
- you can ride through winter if you have the right gear!
- it's ok to ride part-way - drive-part way and commute by bike the remainder and/or make use of our bus network
What was abundantly clear is that bicycles change lives!
Please continue to share your stories, inspire each other, and reach out to others for support and assistance along the way – including myself. I look forward to continuing to do some great work in this space and will continue to keep you posted.
I look forward to continuing to do some great work in this space and to continue to help break down barriers to inspire and enable new riders - especially women - across Murrumbidgee and the ACT.
‘Her Way Fitz’s Challenge’ group
As mentioned during the event, Pedal Power is holding their annual ‘Fitz’s Challenge’ bike ride on Sunday 30 October. Fitz's is not a race, but a personal challenge. There are varying distances, all taking in the spectacular scenery of the Brindabellas.
Pedal Power would love to coordinate a ‘Her Way Fitz’s training group’ for the 50km ride with women from this group - and any friends you'd like to invite. Full details about Fitz's are available at this link. Please reply to [email protected] before Wednesday 15 June to express your interest in joining the ‘Her Way Fitz's Challenge’ group.
Pending interest, we’ll develop a program with dedicated ride leader/s, support and other training materials and information to help you along the way. Imagine yourself crossing the Fitz's finish line this October!
Further resources and contact details:
My office - https://www.marisapaterson.com.au/
Pedal Power ACT - https://www.pedalpower.org.au/
Trek Bikes Phillip - https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/retail/phillip/
See Change - https://seechange.org.au/
Canberra by Bike - https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/canberra-by-bike/